Why Korean Highway Rest Stops Are Worth Visiting


After years of driving across South Korea, I've realized that highway rest stops aren't just places to take a break - they're parr of the journey.

Because of my job, I've spent years driving all over South Korea. I've probably stopped at most of highway rest stops, and honestly, I've lost count.

If anyone has never driven in Korea before, here's something they should know. Highway rest stops are only found on Korea's expressways, and in my experience, we'll usually come across one every 25 to 35 kilometers. That means we never have to worry too much about finding a restroom, food, or fuel during a long drive.

Things were very different ten or fifteen years ago. Back then, a rest stop was simply a place to use the restroom, grab a quick snack, and continue driving.

Today, it's a completely different experience.

To me, Korean highway rest stops have become small destinations of their own. They're places where I can relax, eat something good, stretch my legs, and sometimes even enjoy a beautiful view before getting back on the road.


More Than Just a Place to Rest

One thing I've noticed over the years is how much Korean rest stops have changed.

If I forget something before a trip, I usually don't worry anymore because there's a good chance I'll find it at the next rest stop.

Most rest stops now have:

  • Convenience stores

  • Bakeries

  • Coffee shops

  • Souvenir stores

  • Local specialty products

  • Character merchandise

  • Clothing

  • Seasonal driving essentials

Some of the larger ones honestly feel more like a small shopping mall than a roadside stop.


Why I Always Stop

Whenever I'm driving for several hours, I usually stop for three reasons.

🚻 Restroom

⛽ Fuel

🍜 Food

That last reason is probably my favorite.

After sitting behind the wheel for hours, I always look forward to eating something warm before continuing my drive.


My Favorite Rest Stop Food

Every highway rest stop has something it's known for.

Some of the most popular foods are:


  • Hodugwaja (walnut pastries)

  • Sotteok Sotteok (Rice cake and sausage)

  • Hot bars

  • Grilled squid

  • Regional specialties

  • Udon

  • Ramyeon

  • Pork cutlets

  • Korean soups and rice dishes




People often ask me what I usually eat.

For me, the answer is almost always the same.

Udon or ramyeon.

There's something about a bowl of hot noodles after some hours of driving that just feels perfect. It's simple, affordable, comforting, and exactly what I need before getting back on the road.

I think many Koreans would agree with me like a soul food.



Ordering Is Surprisingly Easy

If it's your first time visiting a Korean highway rest stop, don't worry.

Most places use self-service kiosks.

I simply choose my meal, pay at the kiosk, and wait for my number to appear on the screen.

The meal usually comes with a few side dishes, and drinking water is always free.

If I want more kimchi, I just ask.

It's never been a problem.


Every Rest Stop Has Its Own Personality

This is probably my favorite part.

Even after visiting so many rest stops over the years, I still enjoy stopping at new ones because they're never exactly the same.

Some have beautiful mountain views.

Others overlook the sea, rivers, lakes, or nearby islands.

Many sell local foods and specialties that represent the region.

Sometimes I stop even when I don't really need a break.

I walk around for a few minutes, look at the local products, grab a coffee, and enjoy the scenery.

For me, that's become part of traveling in Korea.


One More Tip

One thing many visitors don't know is that fuel prices at highway rest stop gas stations are often quite reasonable.

When I'm driving a long distance, I often refuel there because it's convenient, and the prices are usually fair.


Final Thoughts

After driving all over Korea for years, I've realized that highway rest stops are much more than places to use the restroom or grab a quick snack.

They're places where I can enjoy a hot bowl of noodles, discover local specialties, take in the scenery, and recharge before getting back on the road.

Whenever friends from overseas ask me what they should experience during a road trip in Korea, I always tell them the same thing.

Don't rush past the highway rest stops.

Stay a little longer.

Walk around.

Try the food.

You might find that one of your favorite memories from your trip wasn't the destination at all—it was the stop along the way.





                                                                                        
  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Outside. Ice-Cold Inside. How Koreans Drink in Summer.

An old Friend & a Fancy Brunch Café