Welcome to Daiso: 8,000 Won for 8 Things
There’s something very easy about shopping at Daiso.
The prices are low enough that even if something turns out to be a bad buy, I don’t feel too guilty about it. But surprisingly often, the quality is better than the price suggests.
And then there are all those clever little things I didn’t even know I needed.
For me, walking around Daiso is almost like a treasure hunt. I go in looking for one thing, notice something new, pick it up, put it back, find something even more interesting… and somehow leave with a bag.
It doesn’t help that there’s a Daiso just three minutes from my home.
I probably go three or four times a month, sometimes just because I’m curious about what’s new. And almost every time, I come home with something, firmly convinced that my latest purchases are going to make my life easier.
At least that’s what I tell myself. :)
Recently, Daiso cosmetics have become especially popular in Korea, with some products selling out quickly. I’ve joined in too. I bought several 2,000-won sunscreens and 5,000-won essences, and honestly, I’m very happy with them.
So, What Makes Daiso So Addictive?
1. The prices
Daiso keeps its pricing remarkably simple: 500, 1,000, 1,500, 2,000, 3,000 and 5,000 won.
That means even the most expensive item is only 5,000 won.
It makes trying something new very easy — and perhaps a little too easy.
2. You can find almost anything
Kitchenware, bathroom supplies, stationery, beauty products, cosmetics, health items, camping gear, home decor, clothing…
The range is enormous.
Quite often, instead of wondering where I should buy something, I think:
Maybe Daiso has it.
And very often, it does.
3. There’s always something new
New products appear constantly, and that’s part of the fun.
There isn’t one particular “new product day” that I wait for. I simply walk in every few weeks and find things I didn’t see the last time.
That little element of discovery is probably one of the reasons I keep going back.
4. Simple, clever design
For the price, many products are surprisingly well finished and do exactly what they’re supposed to do.
But what catches me most is the idea behind some of them.
A small change in shape, a clever function, a cute design — sometimes I just stand there thinking,
Oh, that’s clever.
Apparently, my brain enjoys inexpensive inventions.
5. It’s everywhere
Daiso stores are incredibly easy to find in Korea, from busy shopping districts to ordinary neighborhoods.
In my case, it’s almost dangerously convenient.
Three minutes from home.
That is probably more Daiso access than I need.
I Went in for Cotton Swabs...
The last time I went, I needed cotton swabs.
That was it.
I came home with eight things.
Total: 8,000 won.
And yes, I’m quite sure I needed all eight of them.
Probably. :)
One More Thing: Is Daiso Korea Japanese?
Despite the name, Daiso Korea is a Korean company.
It started in Korea in 1997 and later received investment from Japan’s Daiso Sangyo, which is why many people have assumed the Korean chain was Japanese.
For years, the Japanese company held a 34.21% stake in AsungDaiso. But in December 2023, the Korean parent company acquired the entire Japanese stake.
So today, Daiso Korea is fully Korean-owned.





Comments
Post a Comment